Is The RedDot CMS Dead? No it’s not – But what’s next Open Text?
This topic has been mentioned by John Shackleton, CEO of Open Text
earlier this August where he said that Open Text “would migrate the RedDot to the Vignette platform.” 
Does Open Text Drop RedDot CMS?
At the moment it seems like Open Text is not planning to continue the product development after Summer 2010 at this stage. Instead they are proposing to create a third product which will combine the RedDot UI with Vignette’s underlying technology.
Roadmap – Open Texts next planned and proposed steps
- Planned release WebSolutions 10.1 for Q4 2009
- Planned release Vignette Content Management 8.0 for Q4 2009
- Combined release proposed for Q2 2010
It seems like the product development of Web Solutions will end soon, there is no talk about a next major release after v10.1. Although The new version 11 named “Dolphin” will be a combination of WebSolutions UI and Vignettes Content Management content centric technology.
Impact on current OT clients
- The licenses will transfer to the new product
- Migration will be (as it always is) a fair bit of work, although OT speaks about an automated way of content migration to the new third product. Personally although they speak about automated migration I think this will be difficult to realise with the given technical diversity.
- Clients which plan to launch projects within the next year based on version10 might have to budget for the migration within the next 2 years.
- There is no word on end of product support / end-of life yet.
- DeliveryServer (formerly LiveServer) will still be supported.
What’s the impact on your Open Text agency and for RedDot developer?
Read more »
No related posts.
About the author: